Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Writer's Block


I pitched a story idea called "The Good Samaritan" at the 23rd Austin Film Festival. I say story idea because at the time I did not have the script finished. I still do not. I have been sitting (75 pages worth) on this story/script for over a decade. However, it is my goal to finish it and submit it into the Screenwriting completion at Austin this year. I have until May 15th to accomplish the task.
     Instead on working on the script today, a day that I had designated for writing, I have managed to complete to orders for my websites, written out bills, check emails, and now I have resorted to eating funyuns and working on my writing blog, which I might add, I have not written a thing on in over a year. ARGHHH What is wrong with me? I definitely don't need these chips.
     Welcome to my world. Have a seat and enjoy the crazy until you can feel better about yourself.
I have two outa three acts written, a decent outline, this should not be this difficult. There must be something wrong with it, that keeping me from pushing forward.
     This is not the first time I have had a block, it's just the longest. My life has kinda sucked rocks for the last decade, and I seem to be having trouble contacting my muse. She probably ran for the trees when my life exploded and sent pieces of my heart, body, and psyche to decompose at my feet.
Oh well, lets be a least productive. The goal of this blog is partly therapy and partly about my writing. Let's discuss the beginning.
     I began writing a novel back in 1997 entitled Death Decree. I have about 30,000 words written on that novel, which is how long it took to realize I wasn't a novelist. So after pouting for a few weeks, I came across a writing website that had a copy of a movie script. I had never read a script before, and this one was about monsters living in a world underground (had Fred Savage in it); well my kids were fans of the movie, so I had seen it at least ten times, so I could follow the writing visually in my head.
     Anyways, I pulled out my novel and compared it. Basically while reading the script I noted fact and organization. After attempting to turn a short story in a screenplay, I quickly realized it wasn't as simple as I thought. So I recruited my husband who had a degree in theater to help learn to write more visually.                                                                                                                              Together, we completed 'Ol Scratch' which later became a re-titled 118 supernatural thriller named 'State School Road'. From there we completed two more in the horror genre 'Pleasant Hill' and 'Shadow Beast'. We had quite a few reads between the three.
     In 2003, I began writing alone. My first project was a "short" that was an adaption of  a story my daughter Liz wrote for her high school English class. It is entitled 'Seekers', and of course she was given 'story by' credit.
     Then I started developing 'The Good Samaritan' 2005. The Good Samaritan is a "feel good" drama about an ex-con who wins a huge lottery jackpot. I was really rolling with it when my job transfer came through. So story got shelved while we worked on our ranch Wishing Creek that we purchased in Texas. It was our attempt at becoming self sustaining.   
All was going good but then in 2008, my life, my world derailed, and I have been on a dark road searching for the light ever since. In 2012, the hits just kept coming. I became disabled with an on the job injury which ended up in my forced retirement in 2015.
     I have attempted to put pencil to paper through out all the hardships of the last decade, but have been unable to focus, everything seems to go to a negative route, and so I stop. Then last year, I decided to try to break the hold, and get back on the horse. I miss it, I need it, it keeps me sane.
I will do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment